We started with the wooden exterior where it had been noticed the rain was no longer freely running off the surface. The wood was gently sanded down to remove some of light algae that was forming on the surface with some fine sandpaper and dusted down to make for a clean surface. We then applied a couple of coats of forest green paint to the whole of the exterior with decorators masking tape around the windows to ensure a clean finish.
The following week we encountered heavy winds and the felt roof partially blew off, creating a serious leak into the shed. We went and purchased 8m of the thickest felt we could find (with a 15 year guarantee) and shed roof tacks with flat heads for the purpose of re-felting.
The first thing was to remove the decorative wooden battons at the edge, the old felt and tacks and making the shed roof as clean as possible. The latter was quite a job as the bitumen felt had melted onto the wooden roof over the years so had to be scraped off and made smooth enough for the new felt. Once this had been done, the shed roof was measured and it turned out to be 2m in length with an overlap of 4cm each side, ie strips of 208cm. We needed four of these from the 8m roll!
To ensure water doesn’t leak under the tacked on felt, you need to start from the bottom of each side, which we did and fortunately, there was extra in the roll and we managed to have four strips to tack down.
Whilst we were re-doing the roof, we also re-painted the decorative battons at each end on both sides and the wood ends underneath the felt at each end.
All in all, the project took around four hours to complete but hopefully keep the shed solid for a number of years yet. Below are a few photos of the shed progress and the tools we used (hammer, chisel, Stanley knife and ladder).